Grant submission deadline - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
The Volunteer Fire Assistance Program (VFA), formerly known as the Rural Community Fire Protection Program, provides matching fund grants to eligible rural volunteer fire departments (VFDs) for the purchase of wildland firefighting equipment. The Mississippi Forestry Commission administers this program through an agreement with the USDA Forest Service. This is a 50/50 matching grant; however, the match portion will be covered by the Mississippi Forestry Commission. To be eligible for this grant, the fire department must provide the latitude and longitude of your primary station’s location.
This program provides grants to eligible fire departments for the purchase of wildland firefighting equipment, approved items include:
1. Tanks, pumps, hose, hose reels, hose fittings, nozzles, sirens, emergency lights and ladders.
2. Slip-on units, complete (tanks, pump, hose, etc.) for converting trucks to pumper units.
3. Communication equipment (two-way radios) with statewide firefighting frequency (154.160 MHZ) and “pagers” with tone alert and audio receivers.
4. Hand tools - back-pack pumps, fire axes, pike poles, drip torches, fire flaps, fire extinguishers, etc.
5. Wildland protective items for firemen - Nomex shirts, pants, jumpsuits, helmets, boots, gloves, etc.
6. Combustion products.
For more information on the VFA program, please contact:
Trenton "Keith" Beatty
Rural Fire Assistance Coordinator
3139 Highway 468 West
Pearl, MS 39208
Office: (601) 420-6017
Fax: (601) 420-6003
Cell: (662) 251-6396